Moment of impact: Terry Dzilenski

It is always thrilling when a VISTA gets a chance to see the impact of their work. Terry Dzilenski helps plan and coordinate NeighborWorks New Horizon’s afterschool program for residents. During program recruitment she met a family that reminded her of the value of New Horizon’s program.



Terry working with a child at her site.
To kick off after-school recruitment, I created and hand-delivered information packets to over 70 potential student participants. It was a challenge to find the addresses and, at times, I felt my presence was unwelcome. By the end of the day, I was exhausted, but finally down to my last packet. I approached a house where a mother and 2 daughters were leaving and asked if this was the address I was looking for. When she replied that it was, I told her about NeighborWorks New Horizon’s free program. She explained that she is a single-mother who emigrated from Iraq. Her mother and family are still there trying to get out, and she is tired and overwhelmed.  She looked at me and then she looked at the sky and said, “God must have sent you because I had been praying for some kind of help for my daughters.” She explained that she works and is in school herself, and doesn’t always have the opportunity to help them with their homework.  I told her I wasn't sure that God sent me, but NeighborWorks New Horizons had, and we would love to enroll her daughters. She cried, and I hugged her and told her everything would be okay. 


The VISTAs at a service project in November. Terry is the
 leftmost VISTA on the bottom row.
I learned that many refugees, particularly those from Iraq, are frightened, panicked and socially isolated. They need kindness, compassion, and information about our systems and services. I did not realize I would be providing this kind of help before I became a VISTA member—but I couldn’t be more glad that I am.